Howard W. Stolz PMP
2028 Greens Circle, Howard Lake, MN 55349
Expert at improving product team communication and effectiveness
* Hands-on product development experience
* 50+ products brought to market
* 11 patents * Program budgets of $5-10million
* 10+ years managing cross-functional teams
* 15+ years joint product development with multi-national corporations
* Adjunct Professor University of St. Thomas
* Guest lecturer: University of Minnesota, University of California
at Santa Cruz * Consulting
Minnetronix, Inc., (St. Paul, MN) July 2008 – September 2008
Project Leader - Contractor
* Managed embedded software upgrades and verification testing for a drug infusion pump.
* Evaluated, proposed, and implemented a simplified Earned Value Management process and reporting
tool for the Project Management group.
HEI, Inc, (Victoria, MN) January 2006 – September 2007
Engineering Project Manager
* Primary customer interface to HEI’s top three revenue generating customers.
* Met a customer’s critical preproduction delivery date incorporating a last minute component change
requiring development and validation of new manufacturing processes.
* Managed process development, verification, and validation of two versions of three FDA Class III
implantable defibrillator component assemblies.
* Prepared engineering development quotations per HEI’s phase-gate QSM process (cGMP, ISO 9001).
* Created and maintained extensive FDA required Design History Files for each component assembly.
Wrote process validation protocols and reports including IQ, OQ, and PQ’s.
Sun Microsystems, Network Systems Group (Menlo Park, CA) February 2005 – August 2005
Engineering Program Manager
* Met an aggressive time-to-market goal by integrating multiple cross-functional project development
schedules and plans.
* Simultaneously managed the product development of two desktop computers and one rack server.
* Ran a 20 person cross functional engineering team with key members located on the East and West
coasts jointly engineered with an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) partner in Taiwan.
* Resolved numerous ongoing human resource availability conflicts.
* Presented monthly technical program reviews to department managers and directors.
* Accountable for multi million dollar program budgets.
Stolz Design Consulting
Apple Computer, Power Mac Group (Cupertino, CA) April 2004 – February 2005
Engineering Program Manager - Contractor
* Facilitated the quick resolution of a show stopping thermal control issue between Apple and the
OEM card teams.
* Managed the integration of a next generation graphics card for a next generation PowerMac
* Created an integrated program schedule that included the computer system, Mac graphic
software, and the OEM card vendor’s engineering and production schedules.
* Led a tiger team that resolved a difficult hardware problem.
Sun Microsystems, Netra Systems Group (Newark, CA) January 2003 – April 2004
Product Program Manager - Contractor
* Sustaining program management of a High Reliability server for the telephone industry.
* Initiated and chaired a team that baselined Program Management best practices and developed a
standard set of program management tools and processes.
* Applied 6-Sigma Voice of the Customer (VOC) processes to analyze feasibility proposals for a
next generation blade server card.
Mirra, Inc. (Los Altos, CA) September - December 2002 (Startup)
Project Manager & Product Design Engineer - Contractor
* Managed the Industrial Design and Mechanical Design of a Small Office / Home Office backup
server prototype which was key to securing a second round of venture capital funding.
Sun Microsystems 1987 – 2002
System Program Manager Thin Client Group (Menlo Park, CA) 1999 – 2002
* Delivered two Thin Client products in a record breaking 6 months (33% faster).
* Managed three cost reduction programs including a new Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC)
System On A Chip (SOC).
* Managed the uninterrupted transfer of assembly from an OEM in Taiwan to South Korea.
System Program Manager Java Hardware Group (Menlo Park, CA) 1997 – 1999
* Saved $500k and 2 months of schedule by reusing the enclosure tooling for the second project.
* Primary interface between industrial design, hardware and software engineering in California with
electrical and manufacturing engineering at an ODM in the UK with mechanical design and manufacturing
Staff Engineer & Project Lead Desktop Group (Menlo Park, CA) 1995 – 1996
* Led feasibility studies of computer enclosure architectures for a new power desktop computer.
* Engineering representative to a mechanical CAD software evaluation team that created and executed
software benchmark testing.
Mechanical Design Lead Portable Group (Mt. View, CA) 1992 – 1995
* Interim Mechanical Engineering Manager for Sun’s first portable workstation computer. Managed tooling
design and approval at vendors in 5 countries.
* Mechanical Design Lead for two flat panel displays manufactured by an OEM partner in Japan.
Drafting Manager, Desktop Group (Mt. View, CA) 1990 - 1992
* Created a common CAD design process for Desktop Mechanical Engineering.
* Engineering team representative on several process improvement initiatives.
Mechanical Designer Sun Federal Division (Milpitas, CA) 1987 - 1990
* Sustaining engineering team lead for an entire line of desktop computers, external storage and
* Mechanical CAD and Rapid Prototype Guru.
Rolm (Santa Clara, CA) 1985 - 1987
Mechanical Designer - Contractor
* Plastic enclosure design of a telephone operator’s console.
Commodore-Amiga (Los Gator, CA) 1984 - 1985
Senior Industrial Designer
* Industrial Designer and Mechanical Engineering Manager of the Amiga 1000 personal computer and
Bachelor of Science, Industrial Design, California State University at San Jose
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Medical Device Certification at St. Thomas University (in progress)
Use Patents: Single fan cooling system, Hard drive shock mounting system, Computer workstation chassis/heat
sink, Enclosure mounted heat sink
Design Patents: Thin Client (CRT), Thin Client (LCD), Portable computer, 19” Color Shielded Monitor,
17” Monochrome Shielded Monitor